Associate Position [REMOTE]
Bluelight Strategies seeks an Associate to join its fast-paced practice. Candidates should be highly motivated self-starters looking to put their politics and passion to work for progressive nonprofits focusing on a range of issues including human rights, conflict resolution, the intersection of faith and politics. Knowledge of Middle East issues and the American Jewish community is a plus. Candidates must have at least three years of communications experience in the nonprofit, government or political sector. Successful candidates will also display excellent written and oral communication skills, proven success at placing stories with major media outlets, understanding of sophisticated marketing campaigns and professional knowledge of social media.
About the Firm:
Bluelight Strategies, a boutique media consulting and public affairs firm in Washington, D.C., focuses on message strategy, targeted media outreach, and designing and publicizing high-profile events. The firm has made a name for itself through its commitment to issues of significant social importance within the realms of domestic American politics, progressive foreign policy initiatives and religious affairs. More at www.bluelightstrategies.com
- Design and implement strategic communications campaigns on behalf of clients
- Write and edit press releases, media advisories, opinion pieces and other collateral materials
- Target and pitch relevant media to cover client initiatives
- Develop messaging platforms, branding strategies and marketing initiatives, including social media
- Minimum three years of communications work (not including internships) in the nonprofit, government and/or political sectors. This is not a job for someone who just graduated in 2018.
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Experience writing public relations materials (press releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor, fact sheets, talking points, speeches)
- Proven ability to develop, pitch and place stories with media outlets
- Experience developing messaging strategies
- Ability to conceive and implement social media campaigns that help promote the client’s message
- Understanding of today’s varied communications platforms, including traditional media, social media and viral marketing
- A working knowledge of the Washington, D.C., and national political scenes and the news media
- Copy-editing skills
- A finely tuned attention to detail, balanced by an ability to multitask and to work under strict deadlines
- Initiative, enthusiasm, a propensity for original thought and a sense of humor
- Knowledge of Middle East issues and the American Jewish community is a plus
Please submit a resume, cover letter, salary history and writing samples. Your samples should include a press release, an opinion piece and two posts on social media. Materials should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “associate” in the subject line.
2022 Internships [REMOTE]
Bluelight Strategies, a DC-based public affairs and media consulting firm, specializing in Jewish affairs, nonprofits, progressive domestic and foreign policy, and human rights, is currently seeking internship candidates.
The internship offers a significant opportunity to work closely with many progressive, nonprofit, Democratic Party and international organizations. Bluelight Strategies focuses on publicizing issues, advocating and planning events for clients with a wide range of issues from human rights and religious freedom to the Middle East peace process and U.S. Democratic Party politics.
Given the firm’s boutique feel and the diversity of its client base, interns will be exposed to a wide variety of projects in the marketing, advertising and particularly publicity and public relations fields and will be actively engaged in their implementation. Interns will cultivate a working knowledge of the Washington and national political scenes, the pro-Israel and American Jewish communities and – not least of all – the media.
Intern applicants must possess strong written and verbal communications skills with a particular sensitivity to political nuance. A working knowledge of current international and domestic politics and current events is required. Other qualifications include strong administrative and organizational, communication, writing and editing, and internet research skills. Initiative, enthusiasm, a propensity for original thought, and a sense of humor are essential. The ideal candidates seek careers as political press aides, public relations executives, nonprofit communication professionals, ethnic communal professionals or reporters.
TIME FRAME and DEADLINE:
The internship position begins as soon as possible.
Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed.
This internship is PAID and can be either part-time or full-time.
Please email your resume, cover letter and a list of references to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Thank you and good luck. We appreciate your interest.
Bluelight Strategies is an Equal Opportunity employer.