Bluelight Strategies seeks an Associate to join its fast-paced practice. Candidates should be highly motivated self-starters looking to put their politics and passion to work for progressive nonprofits focusing on a range of issues including human rights, conflict resolution, the intersection of faith and politics — and, of course, campaigns and elections. Knowledge of Middle East issues and the American Jewish community is a plus. Candidates must have at least three years of communications experience in the nonprofit, government or political sector. Successful candidates also will display excellent written and oral communication skills, proven success at placing stories with major media outlets, understanding of sophisticated marketing campaigns and professional knowledge of social media.
About the Firm:
Bluelight Strategies, a boutique full-service strategic communications firm in Washington, D.C., focuses on message strategy, targeted media outreach, and designing and publicizing high-profile events. The firm has made a name for itself through its commitment to issues of significant social importance within the realms of domestic American politics, progressive foreign policy initiatives and religious affairs. More at www.bluelightstrategies.com
• Design and implement strategic communications campaigns on behalf of clients
• Write and edit press releases, media advisories, opinion pieces and other collateral materials
• Target and pitch relevant media to cover client initiatives
• Develop messaging platforms, branding strategies and marketing and advertising initiatives
• Post, track and promote social media campaigns
• Interview, hire and supervise each class of interns
• Minimum two-three years of communications work (not including internships) in the nonprofit, government and/or political sectors. This is not a job for someone who just graduated in 2017.
• Strong oral and written communications skills
• Experience writing public relations materials (press releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor, fact sheets, talking points, speeches)
• Proven ability to develop, pitch and place stories with media outlets
• Experience developing messaging strategies
• Ability to conceive and implement social media campaigns that help promote the client’s message
• Understanding of today’s varied communications platforms, including traditional media, social media and viral marketing
• A working knowledge of the Washington, D.C., and national political scenes and the news media
• Copy-editing skills
• A finely tuned attention to detail, balanced by an ability to multitask and to work under strict deadlines
• Initiative, enthusiasm, a propensity for original thought and a sense of humor
• Knowledge of Middle East issues and the American Jewish community is a plus
Please submit a resume, cover letter, salary history and writing samples. Your samples should include a press release, an opinion piece and two posts on social media. Materials should be submitted to jobs [at] bluelightstrategies.com. Please put “associate” in the subject line.